Custard Cake resembles a chiffon cake with a topping of sweetened milk and egg mixture known as custard. At first glance, this could be mistaken as a giant Leche Flan because the topping resembles one. Guess what? The topping of this cake is definitely Leche flan and the only distinction is the soft cake below.
In the Philippines, this is usually available by the slice in local bakeries (or panaderya). I remember always getting this along with egg pie.
I find this dessert very tasty and sweet so pairing this up with kapeng barako (brewed coffee) to balance the sweetness is not a bad idea.
I like chilled custard cake. I simply refrigerate the cake (after letting it cool down) for 2 hours before serving. Sometimes I even add whipping cream on top to make it more enjoyable.
Try this Custard Cake recipe.Let me know what you think.
Custard Cake Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk mixed with 1/4 cup water milk diluted in water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon lemon rind
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour sifted
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Create the caramel. Heat a 9 x 13 or circular baking pan in the stove top using medium heat. Pour-in the granulated sugar and let stand until the sugar melts (or turns into caramel). You may want to stir the sugar once in a while to make sure that everything is equally distributed within the area of the baking pan. Set aside.
- Create the custard. Combine milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients until everything is properly distributed.Pour the custard mixture on the baking pan with caramel. Set aside
- Create the cake. In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks then gradually add the sugar. Continue beating for about 2 minutes. Put-in a small amount of cake flour alternately with the milk diluted in water and mix well. Do this procedure until the cake flour and milk diluted in water are completely used up. Put-in the lemon rind then beat until texture is smooth. Set aside.
- Create the meringue. Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until texture becomes bubbly (use high speed). Add the cream of tartar then continue to beat until texture becomes fluffy (about 3 to 4 minutes in high speed). Gradually add the sugar then continuously beat until meringue is shiny and firm.
- Fold the cake mixture into the meringue until well blended
- Pour the folded cake and meringue mixture over custard mixture in the baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pour about 6 to 8 cups of hot water on a roasting pan (with rack) then place the cake pan on top of the rack.
- Place the roasting pan that contains the cake pan with all the mixtures in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes or until the toothpick test indicates that the cake is ready.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow the temperature to cool down.
- Transfer to a serving tray then refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve chilled, share and enjoy!
I just made this and had to adjust the sugar. The sugar in the custard is really not necessary. Condensed milk is overly sweet already. For the cake and meringue, I also just used 1/4 cup each of sugar. Despite the adjustments my (foreign) guests still found it sweet. I also found the sponge cake to be really dense. I was hoping for a pillowy texture.
This actually deserves more vote! I have tried this recipe a few times and it never disappoints. thank you
This recipe has become a favorite not only by my family but also by friends and colleagues. Omitted sugar when I made the custard and it turned out so well … not too sweet. I have a question though, can I make ube flavored custard cake? When do I add the ube jam? Thanks much!
Vanjo Merano says
Thanks for the feedback. You can make an ube flavored version. It is done differently when using ube jam.
if I will preheat the oven before cooking for how many minutes, hoping for you
Mr.Vanjo million thanks to you for giving us an ideas on how to make new recipes that can used for the business. thank you so much
Vanjo Merano says
You are welcome, Cherry. I am always glad to help.
Hi! I made this recipe and followed the instructions, and my cake turned out amazing!!!! Tuwang tuwa ako sa texture ng cake. Then I reread the ingredients and I found out na you didn’t write in the instructions when to put the baking powder. I don’t know what happened pero the cake still came out soft and delicious, thanks!!! I’m going to bake this again and this time with the baking powder. I wish I could post a picture kasi it turned out so beautiful!
hi just want to inform u that u missed out the baking powder on the instruction given in making the cake. Because I’m new to these baking thing i also didn’t put baking powder as I was carefully following the instructions, good thing i had all the ingredient out and noticed why i have baking powder on the table but didn’t use it. Lucky for me it wasn’t too late to add it so everything turned out lovely. Very nice custard cake. Love it!