Espasol is a type of rice cake that is made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk. This cylindrically shaped treat originated from the Province of Laguna and is visible in almost all bus stops and “pasalubong” stores.
Like the other famous rice-puddings (or kakanin), there are various ways in making Espasol. I’ll be showing you one of the simple ways on how to make this fabulous dessert. Say adieu to your cravings and start making your own delicious Espasol.
Try this Espasol recipe and let me know what you think.
How to toast the rice flour
- Place a pan large enough to accommodate the rice flour on top of a stove and apply low heat.
- Put the rice flour in the pan and allow to toast while continuously mixing until the color turns light brown.
- Remove the toasted rice flour from the pan and transfer to a bowl or large container
How to toast the grated coconut
- Place a pan on top of a stove and apply low heat.
- Put the grated coconut in the pan and allow to toast while continuously mixing until the color turns light brown.
- Remove the toasted grated coconut from the pan and transfer to a bowl
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour toasted
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour toasted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut toasted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a cooking pot, pour-in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar and stir continuously for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the toasted grated coconut and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence and toasted rice flour and cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the mixture becomes really thick while folding.
- Remove the mixture from the pot and allow to cool down.
- Dust the toasted sweet rice flour in a flat surface.
- Divide the mixture into parts and roll over the dusted sweet rice flour until a cylindrical shape is formed.
- Slice according to your preference.
- Put in a serving plate or wrap in paper or banana leaf. Share and enjoy!
Question, do we have to wash the glutinous rice before having it pulverized? Thanks!
Vanjo Merano says
It is not necessary.
Jesus De Guzman says
Glutinous rice is Malagkit. The way other people used to make espasol are totally different from what I inherit frm my parents. Traditionally I like the original recipe which is the best you will ever taste in Luzon. I have many make it but nothing compare to what I have known
Everyone has the right to own a version the way they like it. We make it only for especial occasion and as a present for friends and relatives by which sometimes bring it to US and Australia by relatives
Vanjo Merano says
Lou, this recipe will be last for 4 days. It will be in the best condition for the first 3 days. Do not refrigerate espasol because it will turn-out hard.
this is one of my favorites; thanks for posting! i enjoy watching. hopefully next time i can make some of your recipes. sooo easy to prepare! that`s why i love it! (“,)
Jonalyn Montanez says
Please post the receipes of sapin -- sapin, ang mga menu nyo ay malaking tulong sakin dito sa abroad kasi nakakapag part time ako ng pagtitinda ng mga nagagaya ko ng menu sa inyo extra income, now i have dream na makpagpatayo ng business. thanks a lot….
Gina Reyes says
I love watching your videos on your website everytime I need recipes, I’m from U.S. and I just wanna know where can I buy those molds that you use for kutsinta and pichi-pichi? I really appreciate it if you could e-mail to me where I can get those molds.
More power to you and your website.
Hi i want to thanks panlasang pinoy.com,that i discover. im living ing Germany.im soo happy na mkaloto na ako ng pinoy eating. thanks to GOD and GOD BLESS TOO LESENERS.
Is sweet rice difeerent from glutinous rice?
jenny sagun says
thanks po sa pagpost ng kung pano lutin ang espasol…its my first time to cooked this im happy coz i knew it…
hello, thanks for the very informative site….this would be a very good help especially those who are starting a food business like me…Good luck and God Bless!