Don’t forget to make Longanisa Lumpiang Shanghai for Noche Buena. This version of the Filipino egg roll is delicious. It is flavorful and tastes best when dipped in sweet and sour sauce.
How to Cook Longanisa Lumpiang Shanghai
The procedure is the same as making traditional Lumpiang Shanghai. Combine all filling ingredients. Wrap it in lumpia wrapper, and then deep-fry until golden brown and crispy. This recipe also includes the steps on how to make easy sweet and sour sauce for dipping.
Let’s get into the details. Combine ground pork and longanisa in a bowl. You can use any type of longanisa. I am using the sweet variety. Make sure to remove the casing of the sausage before adding. Put-in all the vegetable and seasoning ingredients and then add a piece of egg to bind everything together. Mix well.
For additional flavor, I add a piece of Knorr Pork Cube. Simply grate the cube using a cheese grater. It is best to put the cube in the freezer and chill for at least 15 minutes before grating it. This hardens the cube making it easier to grate.
The amount of longanisa used for this recipe is just enough. It is not overpowering. This means that it helps provide flavor to the lumpia without compromising its overall taste.
So, don’t worry, it should taste like a step-up version of Lumpiang Shanghai, and not deep fried wrapped longanisa.
Note that temperature is very important when frying. We want to cook the filling thoroughly without burning the wrapper. Set your heat to 320F and deep-fry for an average of 9 minutes. Keep an eye on the lumpia starting from the 7-minute mark. It can take you up to 12 minutes depending on how brown you want the wrapper to be.
Make the sweet and sour dipping sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients provided in the recipe below. Soy sauce is optional, use it if you want a bit of saltiness in the sauce.
Longanisa Lumpiang Shanghai makes a good appetizer. I also eat it as a main dish with rice.
Give this recipe a try for the holidays. Enjoy!
Longanisa Lumpiang Shanghai
- 1 ½ lb. ground pork
- 2 pieces longanisa
- 1 piece Knorr Pork Cube
- 1 piece carrot minced
- ¾ cup green onion chopped
- ¾ cup singkamas minced
- 1 piece onion minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 piece egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 20 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce optional
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 7 teaspoons of water
- Combine ground pork and longanisa. Add carrot, onion, singkamas, and green onion. Season with garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Grate a piece of Knorr Pork Cube using a cheese grater. Add egg. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Scoop a tablespoon of mixture. Place it on a piece of lumpia wrapper. Secure the filling by wrapping. Note: see video below for guidance.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or deep fryer. Deep-fry the lumpia for to 12 minutes using medium heat (320F).
- Once the lumpia turns golden brown, remove from the fryer. Set aside.
- Make the sweet and sour sauce by combining sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and vinegar in a pot. Apply heat and boil. Pour cornstarch and water mixture. Stir until thick. Set aside.
- Arrange the lumpia is a serving plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce. Share and enjoy!
Leave a Reply