Sweet Pata Asado is a pork dish wherein hocks (or pata) slices are stewed in soy sauce with star anise. It is finished by adding brown sugar and seasonings which makes the sauce sweet. Consider making this dish for your family over the weekend.
Aside from this dish, you might also want to try paksiw na pata and pata humba.
How to Cook Sweet Pata Asado
This is an easy dish to cook. Since our recipes have always been tried and tested, the success of the dish relies on how tender the pata will be. You can simply follow the step-by-step recipe below using the traditional method or use a pressure cooker to speed things up.
I start by boiling the pata for 15 minutes. Note that this is just an initial preparation. The purpose of this step is to get rid of the impurities from the pork hock. Scums will float in the middle of the process. Make sure to scrape and discard it right away. Wash the pork after boiling and set it aside.
Begin to formally cook the dish by sautéing onion and garlic in a cooking pot. You can also use pressure cooker. Make sure that the onion is already soft before adding the boiled pata. Cook this while stirring for 1 minute.
Add soy sauce, water, and star anise. Let it boil. Add a piece of Knorr Pork Cube to make the pork flavor standout. Continue boiling for 60 to 90 minutes or until the pork gets tender. Make sure to add water if needed. When using pressure cooker, you only need to cook this for 30 minutes. Always remember to lower the heat once the regulator starts to move, if you are using pressure cooker for the first time.
Add sugar and season with pepper and salt once the pork tenderizes. This dish is best with a thick sauce. Do it by making a slurry. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Add the mixture into the pot and then constantly stir until the sauce thickens.
This dish is best served with warm white rice.
Sweet Pata Asado
- 3 lbs. pork pata sliced
- 1 piece Knorr Pork Cube
- 3 pieces star anise
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Prepare the pata by boiling. Pour water in a pot. Arrange pata slices. Cover and let boil. Continue boiling for 15 minutes while scraping scums and impurities. Discard water afterwards and wash the pork pata once it cools down. Set aside.
- Start cooking Sweet Pata Asado by heating oil in a pan. Sauté onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Add pata slices. Sautee for 1 minute.
- Pour soy sauce and water into the pot. Add star anise. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Pork Cube. Stir and cover. Set the heat between low and medium. Continue boiling until pata tenderizes. Note: make sure to stir once in a while to cook the meat evenly. Note: add more water as needed.
- Add sugar. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with ground white pepper and salt.
- Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Mix well. Pour mixture into the pot. Stir and cook until sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Arlene M. marquez says
Thanks for sharing the delicious dishes … this is a big help for me and I am always happy to watch your videos in Panlasang Pinoy
Vanjo Merano says
My pleasure, Ma’am. Thank you for visiting.