Pancit Sotanghon is a type of noodle dish in the Philippines. This version that I created is for the vegetarians and vegans alike. The ingredients of Vegetarian Pancit Canton are comprised of vegetables plus the vermicelli noodles, which is made from grains. I did not use any component that contains animal by product.
Don’t let the ingredients in this recipe limit your choices. Try to add other vegetables that suit your taste. For example, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and snap peas can be added to this dish.
I enjoy eating vegetarian pancit sotanghon during lunchtime. Since noodles provide energy due to carbohydrates, it is better to eat this dish early so that you’ll have the time to burn the carbs by the end of the day. If you are into eating vegetarian food or at least want to start with it, then making this dish is a good way of doing it.
Try this Vegetarian Pancit Sotanghon recipe. Let me know what you think.
Vegetarian Pancit Sotanghon
- 1/2 lb. vermicelli noodles
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery stalk
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons annatto powder mixed with 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of water until it becomes soft, but not soggy. Drain the water and set the noodles aside.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and celery
- Once the onion becomes soft, pour-in the vegetable broth and annatto water. Let boil.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, and parsley. cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the noodles in the cooking pot. Toss until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lemon wedges or calamansi.
- Share and enjoy!
Rosemarie RC says
What vegetable broth? I mean, how can i have this? Thanks.
Vanjo Merano says
You can get it from the supermarket; you can also make one. If you plan to make it for yourself, boil 4 cups water and add 1 cup chopped celery, 1 large yellow or white onion, and 1 cup chopped carrots. Continue to boil (covered) for 30 minutes. Add a little bit of salt if necessary.
Clarisa De Leon says
This was fabulous! Tried it last night for dinner; I must say that it is still packed with flavor even if it is vegetarian. Mabuhay!
Jamie R. says
This looks delish and healthy. I can’t wait to make this for my hubby. As always, thank you for sharing your recipes.