Sardines Fish ball is a good dish to prepare while on lockdown. It is easy-to-make, delicious, and affordable. The ingredients are also easy to find. Chances are that you already have everything at the moment.
If you enjoyed my sardines with sotanghon and pechay recipe, you will love this as well.
Watch How to Make Sardines Fish Ball
Making your own fish balls out of canned sardines at home is quick and easy. There are two components to the recipe. The first is the sweet and sour dipping sauce, which is derived from the tomato sauce that goes with the sardines. The second is the actual sardine fish ball.
We will first make the sweet and sour sauce. Separate the fish from the sauce using a kitchen strainer. Set the sardines aside.
Heat the tomato-based sauce in a a small pot. Pour-in vinegar and let boil. Stir and then add sugar. Stir continuously until the sugar dilutes in the mixture. Lastly, thicken the sauce by combining cornstarch and a few tablespoons water. Stir and pour into the pot. Cook while stirring until the sauce thickens. Set the sweet and sour sauce aside while we make the fish balls.
Start to make the fishballs by mashing the sardines. Add chopped bok choy or pechay. Mix well. Add some Knorr Liquid seasoning to provide that nice flavor to the fish balls. Crack a piece of egg into the bowl. Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
You’ll notice that the mixture is still wet at this point. This is where the breadcrumbs comes in. This ingredient helps by absorbing the extra moisture. I start by adding 3 tablespoons at first. Add more as needed until the desired consistency is achieved.
Once you achieved the desired consistency on your mixture, crack a piece of egg on a separate bowl and beat the egg.
It’s time to deep-fry the balls. Heat oil in a pot. Scoop around 2 tablespoons mixture and mold it into a ball-shaped figure. Dip in beaten egg and roll over remaining breadcrumbs. Deep fry the fish balls until golden brown.
Serve with fish balls with the sweet and sour sauce. This makes a good appetizer. It can even be eaten as a meal with rice.
Try this easy Sardines Fish ball recipe. Happy cooking!
Sardines Fish Ball with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 cans sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 cup pechay chopped
- 2 teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons green onion chopped
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 pieces eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- Open the can of the sardines. Separate the fish from the sauce using a kitchen sieve.
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by heating the sauce in a saucepan. Add vinegar. Let the mixture boil. Stir and then add sugar. Thicken the sauce by mixing cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water. Pour the mixture into the pot. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Start making the sardine balls by placing the fish (sardines) in a bowl. Mash it and then add the chopped pechay and crack a piece of egg into the bowl. Mix well.
- Add Knorr liquid seasoning and around 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Continue mixing until all ingredients are well blended. Note: add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Crack the remaining egg and place it in a clean bowl. Beat until smooth. Scoop around 2 tablespoons of sardine mixture and mold it into a sphere. Dip in beaten egg and then roll it over the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a small cooking pot. Deep-fry the sardine balls using low to medium heat until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from the pot and arrange in a serving plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce. Share and enjoy!
Leave a Reply