Latik is a residue of coconut milk. This achieved when coconut milk is cooked in medium heat over a period of time. Latik is commonly used as toppings in rice cakes such as kalamay, sapin-sapin, biko, and maja blanca,
I received an email last night requesting for the procedure in making latik. Since I still have a cup of extra coconut milk from the Bibingka that we featured recently, I opted to make latik out of it.
Just so you know, your requests are queued and I grant each of them depending on the availability of ingredients and my budget as well. Since I already have the extra coconut milk on hand with no plans of using it within the next 2 days, I thought that I better make something out of it rather than to leave it in the fridge until it goes moldy.
- 1 2 cups can coconut milk
- Heat a saucepan and pour-in the coconut milk.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil.
- Continuously stir until most of the liquid evaporate. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes per cup of coconut milk.
- When the texture turns gelatinous, lower the heat and continue stirring. Oils should be separating from the milk at this stage.
- Continue stirring until brownish residues are formed. Turn off the heat and place the latik in a container. You can use this right away to top your favorite rice cake or place it in the fridge for a week or so.
Vanjo Merano says
Mardz, canned coconut milk ang ginamit ko dito.
I tried this twice but with no success. The first one got burned but managed to se! The second one ( this time used the Creamed Coconut version to reduce the evaporation process), but it got to the point where it started to turn really dark brown but the oil still has not separated from the residue as yet. So I switched it off than get another burned coconut again. What do you think I was doing wrong (to avoid wasting further 2 cups of coconut)? Is this to do with the wrong application of heat or using the wrong type of coconut?
Kalamay Hati is very good for the Suman, how can you make a Kalamay Hati?
Madison Bee says
Thanks for the recipes..