Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa is a vegetable dish composed of Calabaza squash and string beans.The vegetables are cooked in coconut milk or coconut cream. Different kinds of seafood — sometimes meat is used to cook this dish to add more flavor.
There are many different variations of Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa, but this one is my favorite — because of the crabs. I like this dish better with alimasag (blue crabs); the flavor of the crabs blends well with the vegetables and coconut milk.
Everytime I cook this vegetable and crab recipe, I make sure to cook an extra cup of rice because the wonderful flavor of this dish always increases my appetite. I must control my rice intake though, so I limit myself to 2 cups of rice.
Try this Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa recipe and let me know what you think
Ginataang Sitaw at Kalabasa with Crabs Recipe
- 4 lbs fresh blue crabs alimasag
- 1 lb squash calabaza, sliced into cubes
- 1 bunch string beans about 3 to 4 cups, cut into 2.5 inch length
- 3 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot and pour cooking oil.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add fish sauce and coconut cream, and then let boil.
- Put-in the ground black pepper, and then cook for 10 minutes in medium heat until the liquid reduces.
- Put-in the crabs and stir. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the squash (kalabasa) and cook until the squash becomes a little soft.
- Add the string beans, stir, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Hi Vanjo, Thanks for the recipes, it helps me a lot
sarap nito. can i use dungarees crab instead?
can I substitute green beans for the string beans in guinataang alimasag recipe?
Vanjo Merano says
I do not recommend doing that as it alters the overall texture and flavor of the dish. However, you can do that if you want especially if sitaw (string beans) is hard to find in your area.
Hi Vanjo! 🙂
Thank u so much sa recipe…Malaking tulong nito skin kz step by step tlga at my video pa..
i love the recipes here.
my boyfriend loves every dish that i cook for him. 🙂 thanks to Panlasang pinoy
Hi Vanjo! :)instead of alimasag anong pweding e-substitute? thank you po….