Sarciadong Manok or Chicken Sarciado is a type of Filipino chicken stew wherein the chicken slices are cooked with lots of tomato. It is also known as Kinamatisang Manok. This simple dish can be prepared for lunch or dinner on regular days. It is best served with warm white rice. Sometimes I also have this with a condiment of fish sauce and chili peppers.
Aside from chicken, this sarciado recipe can also be used with pork. However, the cooking time needs to be extended to ensure that the meat tenderizes.
How to Cook Sarciadong Manok
Start by sautéing the chicken with tomato. Do this by heating oil in a pan. First, sauté garlic and then the onion. Add the tomato and continue to cook until tender. Put the chicken in the pot and start to sauté until the outer part turns light brown.
Fresh tomatoes alone are enough for this dish. However, I want mine to have a thicker sauce. This is the reason why I add tomato paste. It is totally an optional ingredient. Pour chicken broth after adding the paste and put-in the spices. I am using dried bay leaves and chopped parsley for this recipe.
Stew the chicken until tender. This takes around 40 minutes. Cook it between low to medium heat. Add green peas. This ingredient provides contrast to the dish making it more appetizing.
Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper. This dish is best served warm.
Other Sarciado Dishes
Fish sarciado or sarciadong isda is a common dish in the Philippines. There is a also a version using tofu and boiled egg.
Mahi-mahi Sarciado is a similar dish involving breaded fried mahi-mahi fillet.
Sarciadong Tilapia is similar to the mahi-mahi version, except that the whole piece of fish is used, instead of fillet.
Tofu sarciado involves fried extra firm tofu. This is a good substitute for pork and chicken.
Egg Sarciado is the version that makes use of boiled egg.
Sarciadong Daing, on the other hand, utilizes dried fish. Salted dried fish known as daing or buwad are fried and topped with sauce.
There are many ways in making sarciado using different ingredients. This recipe is probably the simplest way to do it.
Try this Sarciadong Manok Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 4 pieces tomatoe ripe sliced
- 2 ounces tomato paste optional
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Fish sauce and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute onion, garlic, and tomato.
- Once the onion and tomato soften, add chicken pieces. Continue to cook until the color turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste and chicken broth. Let boil.
- Put-in dried bay leaves and parsley. Cover and cook between low to medium heat for 35 to 40 minutes. Note: add more water or chicken broth if needed.
- Add green peas and season with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve! Share and enjoy.
Leave a Reply