Lugaw or plain congee is the most basic congee recipe that only requires rice, water, and salt. This version is somewhat upgraded because I used an ingredient that improves the flavor of the dish – Rousong.
Rousong is made from pork. This is also called pork or meat floss. The texture of rousing is almost as soft as cotton, while its flavor is intense. This can definitely hype-up your plain old lugaw to make it more enjoyable to eat. It is available in Asian supermarkets.
I got the idea from my childhood days. When I am sick, my mom and grandma will prepare some lugaw for me. I must admit that eating plain congee with a bit of salt is not exciting as eating crispy pata, so they always add this soft dry pork flakes on top. This made warm lugaw taste better.
Try this Lugaw Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup rousong pork floss
- Pour water in a cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Put-in the rice. Continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the texture becomes thick, while stirring once in awhile.
- Add the salt, stir and then cook for 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with a tablespoon of rousing.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
JAYPERSON BENSURTO says
PAANO MAGLUTO NANG LUGAW THE BEST PONG LUGAW