Kilawing Puso ng Saging is a Filipino recipe involving banana blossoms. This is considered as a vegetable dish wherein the blossoms are sauteed with garlic and onion and cooked in vinegar. We can consider Kilawing Puso ng Saging as a simple recipe that can be cooked during regular days. This is also budget friendly because banana blossoms are not expensive at all.
I remember the days when I was growing up in the Philippines. I used to harvest the banana blossoms from the banana plants in a vacant lot near our house.
Before you proceed in the cooking process, make sure that you prepare the blossoms accordingly. It is important that the sap is removed before you cook. Refer to the cooking video for more guidance.
Try this Kilawing Puso ng Saging recipe. Let me know what you think.
Kilawing Puso ng Saging
- 2 to 3 cups chopped banana blossoms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 6 tablespoons cane vinegar
- 3 pieces long green chili pepper sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Brine: 6 cups of water combined with 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Soak the chopped banana blossoms in the bowl with brine for 15 to 20 minutes. After soaking, squeeze tightly to release the sap from the banana blossoms. Place in a colander to drain the water. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the banana blossoms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the fish sauce and vegetable broth, Stir and let boil.
- Pour-in the vinegar. Allow to re-boil, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the green chili and ground black pepper.Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn-off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
5 star rating to my taste.its been a while since i had a taste of traditional pinoy recipies.thank you for this recepies.i travel back in time to my chilhood days while enjoying this foods.
Vanjo Merano says
Charles, thanks for the wonderful feedback. I am happy to know that you like this recipe.
Thanks for the video. Clear, precise instructions where no words were wasted. Keep those vids coming, please!
Salamat! Super galing ng instructions. Malinaw at walang aksayadong salitang ginamit. 🙂
Abby Coy says
Thanks kabayan. I tried it and it’s sooooo good. I don’t have vegetable broth so i just used water. I used ground chili pepper.
Vanjo Merano says
Thanks for the feedback. Masaya akong malaman na nagustuhan mo itong recipe, Abby.
liza salaguste says
its been awhile that im using panlasang pinoy recipes..thank you for posting some and keep sending me nutrious foods..god bless