Bagoong Rice is a type of fried rice dish that makes use of shrimp paste or bagoong. This original version of this dish is of Thai origin. However, and since we love bagoong, I made a real quick and easy version of the recipe that everyone can enjoy.
Making your own bagong rice can be hassle free as long as you have all the ingredients. You can use commercially bottled shrimp paste that are already cooked, or you can cook your shrimp paste by following our bagoong guisado recipe. As for the rice, left over steamed rice will work best.
We will also be using pork belly for this recipe. Make sure that the pork belly is sliced as thin as possible so that it will cook fast. After everything is done, it will seem like you are enjoying bagoong rice and pork binagoongan at the same time. What makes this dish more exciting are the chopped green mangoes on top of the rice. It will be like a different manga with bagoong experience.
Try this Bagoong Rice Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Bagoong Rice Recipe
- 1/4 lb. pork belly sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup green mango chopped
- 5 cups steamed white rice
- 3 tablespoons bagoong guisado or bottled shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Heat a frying pan.
- Sear the sliced pork belly by putting them directly in the hot pan and cooking them until oil comes out. This should take about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bagoong guisado and then stir. Cook for a minute and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the oil in the same frying pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, put-in the garlic and then cook for 15 seconds.
- Add 2 tablespoons of shrimp paste and then cook for 30 seconds in medium heat.
- Put-in the rice. Gently mix while cooking until all the ingredients are distributed properly. Cook the rice for 10 minutes while gently scraping the bottom of the pan once in a while.
- Transfer the rice to a serving bowl. Top with the cooked pork belly, chopped green mango, and chopped scallions.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Leave a Reply